Wednesday, April 28, 2010

BIG BOY BRADFORD

Bradford had his birthday Monday, April 26th. I can't believe it has been 4 years. He was a planned Cesarean because Grace had been an emergency Cesarean, so the safest bet is to just go that way from then on out. He was about a week early of his due date because that's how they schedule those and Doctor Ainsworth, our doctor for all the kids only does those on Wednesdays, It was early in the morning at about 7:00am. Probably the biggest thing I remember besides Bradford's weight 10.9lbs. was that the Friday before he was born Ian had to get his appendix taken out. Prior to that happening I was so excited because he finally had a job where he could take some time off to help with me and the baby. With all the other kids he had to get back to work the next day so this was going to be a real treat. Wrong! He ended up coming home the Friday before the scheduled birth in pain and spent the next day getting his appendix out and in the hospital for a couple of days. Ian was there for Bradford being born and all but was really not feeling well and probably doing way more than he was supposed to.
I remember the weeks leading up to Bradford being born I could tell he was big and I kept asking the doctor how big he thought he was, he just kept saying, he'll be around 8lbs. Then when Bradford was born the doctor came back in to see me while I was in recovery and he asked how big I thought he was, of course I had no clue but he seemed to beam when he told me 10.9lbs. When I said "you told me he would be around 8lbs" he quickly replied, "that was a few days ago, he gained weight since then." Funny!
While I was waiting in the recovery room they gave Bradford some sugar water and formula because I wasn't there to nurse him and they said his blood sugar was low. This made for a rough start with nursing him. The nurses kept saying things to me like, "well since you are diabetic......" Finally when Dr. Ainsworth came to check on me a few days later I asked him if I was diabetic and he told me, "no, but people always assume that when you have a big baby." Bradford also had jaundice for about 6 weeks. His little eyes were so yellow and I was taking him to the doctor over and over because I was so worried. And setting him in the sun of the windows every chance I could, I would move him around the house as the sun moved during the day. I think all the stress I was feeling plus Ian having just had his appendix out and my expectations of how nice it was going to be to have Ian home for a while with this baby made for a very hard couple of weeks with lots of panic and crying on my part. Oh those early struggles of motherhood!
Now that my baby boy is 4 I want to share some things that are so funny and special about my guy.
He has the best sense of humor, seriously a very witty little kid.
He is soooo smart, if watched him do a puzzle, his favorite thing lately, you would be as amazed as I am. He also loves to color and comes up with some amazing art work, must be because he's left handed.
When he wants his way with something he threatens me with things like, I'm going to get unbuckled then, it's pretty funny and the way I can always threaten him back with things like, then Davis, (his best buddy and cousin) won't be able to come over then and his reply is always the same "Oh fine" So funny!
He has been the only one of my boys to ask me to marry him and is always bringing me things saying, "this is for you mom." He's so sweet. He also says thing to Abby all the time like you are beautiful and the other day in the car he said, "Abby your eyes sparkle like diamonds." Not quite sure where he got that but I loved it.
He loves for me to tuck him in and will always say,"lay down by me, it won't take very long." When I do he usually after a little while will say, " okay you can go now, I told you it wouldn't take long." So I guess he's a man of his word.
He is so tough. Saturday he was helping Ian and that night when I gave him a bath he had a huge scrape on his rear end, not just something little but like road rash the size of my hand. When I asked what on earth happened he didn't know. Now that's tough.
He loves to help his Dad and Uncle Erik outside and do all the kinds of things little boys love like hunting and riding the quads which is often included in his prayers.
I love that too, how he says what's on his mind in his prayer and they can be so funny , I'm sure Heavenly Father gets a real kick out of his prayers.
Recently he mentioned to me how Grandpa Warren has big ears and later in his prayer he said he was thankful Grandpa Warren has big ears. Funny kid. Speaking of Grandpa he said he wants to be like grandpa and have glasses but not a green toe.
Anyway I think I have written enough for posterity sake. I love my big boy Bradford and am glad to have him in our family.

Here is an example of some of the treasures Bradford brings me, what girl wouldn't want a "rock" instead of flowers, right?

Happy Birthday Buddy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post, but it's time to let another child into the spotlight. Looking for a new post. Love you.

AaronTara said...

This is too cute... I didn't know he was so big! Happy birthday to Bradford! : D